This 22-inch round painted Haitian metal wall art features a fish and shell design. The piece is cut, embossed, and painted by hand. Suitable for indoor and outdoor use. Each piece is handmade in Haiti by a cooperative of artisans.
- 22 inch Metal Wall Art from Haiti
- Features a Fish and Shell design
- Made by Fair Trade Artisans in Haiti from Recycled Steel Drums
- Perfect for indoor or outdoor use.
How this is made
Fair Trade and Handmade
Our mission is to offer income-generating opportunities to craftspeople in developing countries by following fair trade practices including paying in advance at least the market price for items, ensuring that craftspeople receive payment, and ensuring that the craftspeople work in fair working conditions. We work directly with artisans, craftspeople, and producer groups to achieve these goals and hopefully help improve the lives of some of the people with whom we share this planet.
Croix des Bouquets , Haiti
When you visit Croix des Bouquets, the area of town known for Haitian metal art in the capital of Port-Au-Prince, you are met with a cacophony of tink, tink, tink as ball peen hammers strike sheets of steel. The sheets are cut from steel drums colored by oil and other liquids the drums at one time held.
Making of Haitian Metal Art
The process of turning sheets of metal into beautiful wall art is all done by hand, from cutting holes that become edges of trees and leaves, to accenting each lizard with a texture of scales, to painting or lacquering the final design.
Suitable for Indoor or Outdoor Use
Each piece of metal art whether painted or natural is coated with a layer of clear lacquer to protect the metal from any rust.
To hang metal art simply use pin head nails in the many nooks and spaces available in the design.
Given the handmade nature of this product please allow for minor variations. As the metal is recovered from recycled oil drums and colored through a burning process it will vary slightly in coloration. Typically the piece has a darkened steel patina.
What our customers say
I bought this Tree of Life steel drum as an anniversary gift for me and my wife. She really loves it and this is my favorite wall decoration.
This is one of those items that actually looks much better in person I was surprised by the nice craftsmanship. We have it hanging above our big screen TV. This is the one item everybody that comes over notices and ask about.
Just beautiful. This gorgeous Tree of Life & birds made a visually appealing addition to my new Secret Garden entrance. 3 birds on the wall & 2 hiding in the birch tree pieces on top of the rear arch. Someone put a lot of work into these.
- Made by Fair Trade Artisans in Haiti; hand-painted design, color may vary
- Suitable for indoor or outdoor use
- Made of recycled steel, this sculpture will rust over time if it is exposed to the elements. If you do not prefer the look of a weathered patina, you can maintain the original look by applying a spray-on clear enamel once a year.
- Socially responsible product assortments that is empowering consumers to purchase according to their values and help alleviate poverty.
- Fair Trade product. Fair Trade is so much more than a product assortment. It's about safe workplaces, fair wages + community investment for factory employees.